"Compared to my childhood, status of rivers in Kerala at present is quite sad. We all believe that we are knowledgeable about our water sources. However, except for some individual initiatives and small scale interventions in local issues, there is hardly any in-depth study undertaken on rivers yet. Rivers being elixir of life, polluting and exploiting of its water sources is a cruelty to the coming generation. As a medium, I believe that a fine art like sketching has an important role in spreading the awareness about rivers and related issues." CN Karunakaran
CN Karunakaran along with MT Vasudevan Nair, Artist Madanan, Cartoonist Venu, Dr Latha Unnikrishnan, C Jayakumar and Rajiv Menon will be reviewing the entries received from public as part of the crowd-sourcing initiative from Nila Foundation. The select entries from the competition will adorn the front pages of forteen chapters of 'Puzha Malayalam', a book on the status of rivers in Kerala.
The book will be released on the UN World Environment day 05 June 2010 in Thunjan parambu. Our next press conference will be in Trivandrum on the 17th Apr to announce the list of judges. For more details, please contact our colleague Prakash on +91.9388131777 9446280603.
pic The Hindu online
- Winners of crowd-sourcing of sketches
- 'Nalla kaaryam' - Sugatha Kumari
- suggestions invited for cover design of the book
- CN Karunakaran on rivers
- SMAAS tours and travels to support the initiative
- Rajiv Menon joins the judging panel
- Karuvanchal high school and more
- Judging panel announced
- Sargotsvam to organise sketch workshops
- Two more workshops to sketch
- The unique climatic and geographic conditions that...
- Brushmen's to join the river campaign
- Dhyana sankalpam students sketch 'my river'
- Anaswara Chitrakala Vidyalayam joins the initiativ...
- SANS creations - Thrissur to organise sketching wo...
- ▼ April (15)
- Nila Foundation
- What was once the life line of Kerala, is today a decaying, dying river. It is out of concern for Bharatapuzha (River Nila): the erosion of the river banks, the dilution of its culture, neglect and depletion of its resources - that the Nila foundation was formed. The foundation intends to provide a common platform for those who are concerned about rivers in general and River Nila in particular.